June 11th – 17th, we celebrate Men’s Health Week!
1. Eat Breakfast A good breakfast jump starts your metabolism and sets the tone for your day. Game Plan: Try whole grain cereal with fruit on top, or grab a yogurt or healthy granola bar for the road.
2. Eat at least 1 Fruit & Vegetable at Every Meal Fruits & vegetables are the nutritional super-stars. Game Plan: Keep fruits and vegetables on the counter or at the front of the fridge so you’re more likely to see and eat them.
3. Less is More—Ingredients that is As author Michael Pollan says, “If your grandma wouldn’t recognize it as food, you probably shouldn’t eat it.” Game Plan: Avoid the middle aisles of the grocery store and you’ll buy healthier foods.
4. Variety is the Spice of Life Eating many different types of foods helps ensure you’re getting all the vitamins and minerals you need. Game Plan: Buy one new fruit or vegetable every time you go to the store to mix it up.
5. Stop the Super-Sizing Portion sizes at most restaurants are not healthy. In fact, they are 3–5 times larger than a healthy size. A healthy serving of meat is the same size as a deck of cards. A healthy serving of pasta is about the size of your fist. Game Plan: Take half of your next restaurant meal home in a to-go box. You’ll have a great lunch the next day and save cash!
6. Cut Back on Red Meat Too much red meat clogs your arteries. Not good. Game Plan: Go meatless on Mondays. Challenge yourself to create a great meal without meat.
7. Whole Grains, Whole Grains Whole Grains Whole grains will fill you up more than foods like white bread because they have more fiber. Game Plan: Have a few pieces of whole